If you’re like me, and are trying to eat well and maintain a healthy weight you are probably in one of two diet modes – trying to lose weight or trying to maintain your weight after reaching your weight-loss goal.
I recently sat down with dietitian Cheryl Marco, RD, of Jefferson’s Comprehensive Weight Loss Program to ask for some diet advice.
First she says it is important to recognize that there is a difference between maintenance mode and weight-loss mode even though there is some overlap.
If you’re trying to lose weight Ms. Marco recommends:
- Use meal and snack replacements that are pre-measured portions.
- Portion control, portion control, portion control!
- Keep a food log for a short period of time to learn about your habits.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Weigh yourself once a week, any more and you may get discouraged by the lack of progress.
If you are trying to maintain your weight:
- Adopt a regular exercise routine. Engage in physical activity for at least 1 hour each day, most formerly overweight people are physically active
- Eat a high protein breakfast every day
- Reengineer your portions. Most of us will eat what is in front of us, so stick with pre-portioned snacks of the right size so you don’t eat the entire bag of chips in a single sitting
- Get plenty of sleep
- Weigh yourself once a day, so you catch any weight gain early. It’s a lot easier to lose 3 pounds if you catch yourself slipping early, than 15 pounds if you ignore it.
Jefferson’s Comprehensive Weight Management Program focuses on more than a target weight. Our medical staff will work with you to craft a customized plan for a healthier and more active lifestyle. With over 70 active participants in maintenance, this is one of the largest and most dynamic Optifast® maintenance programs in the country.
If you are interested in learning more about the Weight Management Program please join us for a free session to get an overview at our offices in Center City Philadelphia. To find out the dates and to register, please call 215-955-5732 or use our e-mail form.